Thursday, May 3, 2012

Post today's research exercise here

Please post your responses to today's in-class research exercise here.  Thanks!

14 comments:

Christopher Lyon said...

1) the topic of my paper will be formalism.

2)I personally love the cinematography and stylistic choices involved. Such as in "Amelie", the accentuated color scheme, and the narration style, both of which can also be seen in many other movies, "500 Days of Summer" included. Another interesting film that had a style choice that interests me is "Sin City". the film has an interesting use of color isolation, showing only certain colors.

3)http://medb.byu.edu/files/lesson/realism-formalismarticle.pdf
this website talks about how it is a combination of many things such as camera angles and color and lighting that comes together to make a concept as a whole.

4)I am definitely even more interested in doing my paper on Formalism, and am considering broadening it to also talk about auteur theory, and how one makes the other (or doesn't).

Shani Leead said...

[I realized I posted this in the citations page section instead of here, so I am reposting]


1. The topic of my paper will be the genre crime mystery.

2. I selected this topic because I am amazed by the ability of filmakers to captivate the audience with a mystery film in which they are dying to find out ending. When I watch these types of films I become so consumed by the film that I lose track of time, and all my surroundings till the very last minute.

3. The following article discusses the succes of the crime mystery film genre and how it occassionaly also trangresses genre boundaries.
By Michael Tapper from Film International 2009

http://web.ebscohost.com.proxy.library.ucsb.edu:2048/ehost/detail?vid=5&hid=125&sid=fae2db8b-78ee-4b4f-8c7a-a21027486088%40sessionmgr111&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=aft&AN=505382602


4. Yes this topic still interests me.

Geno Creese said...

1. I did my research on Auteur Theory

2. I selected this topic because, being an actor, creating your own work is one of the most satisfying experiences there is and I want to learn more about it.

3. http://iipa.chadwyck.com.proxy.library.ucsb.edu:2048/articles/displayItem.do?QueryName=articles&ResultsID=1367B86ECE1&filterSequence=0&ItemNumber=13&ItemID=iipa00329150&journalID=JID10638954

This was a short article on director David Croenenberg and how he turned the moviea History of Violence into a movie that is completely unique and all because of an auteur director

4. The topic still interests me bnut I need to do some more research

Chris Bowerman said...

1. I would like to examine the "surf film" as a broad genre with many forms. There are documentaries (Endless Summer 1 and 2), oldies (Gidget), biographies (Lords of Dogtown, Soul Surfer), fictions (North Shore, Point Break, Blue Crush), and even animations (Surf's Up).
2. I like to surf.
3. This article talks about a few fictional surf narratives. Not scholarly, but I couldn't find anything on this topic from academia. http://surfing.about.com/od/surfvideodvd/a/0524bestmovie.htm
4. Yes, I am still interested. There have only been a few surf movies, especially from Hollywood, and not much has been written on them.

Anonymous said...

Sarah Peralta

1) The topic of my paper will be the genre musicals.

2) I selected this topic because I absolutely love musicals. I sometimes wish my life were like a musical. I tend to break out in song. "The Sound of Music" is one of my favorites.

3) The Musical Mode: Putting on "The Red Shoes"
Peter Fraser
Cinema Journal , Vol. 26, No. 3 (Spring, 1987), pp. 44-54
Published by: University of Texas Press on behalf of the Society for Cinema & Media Studies
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1224907

The article discusses in the author's definition of a genre and then moves into the musical genre. It then defines Hollywood musicals and American musicals, saying that American musicals affirm specific American values which is conveyed in the music. It goes into more detail on how a film is categorized into the musical genre.

4) After reading this article I am even more interested in learning about the American and Hollywood musical genre. So, yes.

Mischelle Camaclang said...

1. The topic of my paper will be on nightmare horror films and how this particular genre can be related to sci-fi horror.

2. I selected this topic because these are the films that would resonate with me as a child. Ghosts, vampires, and monsters were much more terrifying to me than serial killers in movies.

3.http://www.ravenndragon.net/montgomery/nightmarehorrorfilms.pdf
This journal article talks about the construction of nightmare imagery and how to make these monsters real by invading the psyche of its audience.

4. I am still interested in this topic after researching the topic. I think it will break down the makings of these nightmare horror films into something much less terrifying than I had once thought.

Anonymous said...

1. The topic of my paper will be on musicals with an emphasis on historical development.

2. The mode of development of the film can differ dramatically and explore different techniques. However, there would be expectations for any musical to meet.

3. http://www.ejumpcut.org/archive/onlinessays/JC31folder/FeuerMusRev.html
Butler discusses the attitudes around the genre and its qualification for serious study. There is then a breakdown of what makes a musical successful by outlining its components.

4. The style and development of the genre is what interests me, so I might focus on one of these.

Jake Yermini

Ian Barling said...

1. The topic of my paper will be feminist film theory.

2. I took a class on contemporary film theory last year and thought the feminism theories presented were really interesting. In addition to explaining how films are stylistically constructed, feminist theory takes it a step further, by examining the style and content's social, psychological, and political impact.

3. The following article, "Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema," by Laura Mulvey, is arguably the most popular feminist film theory essay ever written. In it, Mulvey discusses how Hollywood cinema has manifested into one that is from the male perspective, in terms of sexuality. The uses terms such as the "male gaze" and "fetishistic" gaze to defend the notion of a cinema constructed in a specific way to appeal to the eroticism of men, in part, by the objectification of females.

http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic235120.files/MulveyVisualPleasure.pdf

4. Yes, the topic still interests me. In fact, having searched through some articles online, I was reminded that Constance Penley, a fim professor at UCSB, had played (and still does) a prominent role in the feminist film theory movement. I will surely contact her for guidance and insight.

Christy Ly said...

1. Topic: Film genre analysis on Historical/Epic Films

2. I chose this genre as my focus because I realize that I have a personal liking to the genre. Some of the movies that have inspired me to choose this was Spartacus, Troy, Gladiator, Shindler's List, Hero, Ip Man and many more.

3. http://www.filmreference.com/encyclopedia/Criticism-Ideology/Epic-Films.html
This is perhaps a short intro to what is considered an Epic film although it can range to different time periods, culture, history and myths, it encompasses many aspects that engages the film to be more than entertainment.

4. Most likely I will
4.

Patrick Lataitis said...

1.) The topic of my paper will be auteur theory.
2.) I am interested in auteur theory because I want to gain a greater understanding of the creative aspect of how films are created, and the driving forces behind this creativity. It is also interesting to observe who gets the credit for a successful film (whether it be an actor, writer, director, etc.), and I want to learn just how much influence a director truly has when they attain such praise.
3.) ‘The Auteur Theory and the Perils of Pauline’
http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2307/3185951
This reading is a chapter out of Film Quarterly about the auteur school of thought, including examples, opinions, and theoretical observations.

4.) I am still very interested in auteur theory, and I am looking forward to studying some examples of it to gain a further understanding of the power that a director can have on his/her film.

Bryce Miller said...

1.) My topic will be 1980's action films

2.) I chose this topic because these films are very entertaining and filled with action. The films in this time period influenced the of current action genre so I find these films really interesting.

3.)http://iipa.chadwyck.com.proxy.library.ucsb.edu:2048/quick/displayMultiItem.do?Multi=yes&ResultsID=1368F52206B&&QueryName=articles&ItemNumber=1&ItemID=iipa00472780&FormatType=raw&journalID=JID01635069&logType=fulltext

The author, Drew Ayers, outlines the Hardbody genre of action films which emerged in the 1980s. He goes on to discuss the major films as well as Conventions, Themes, and Motifs in these films.

4.) After reading the article I am definitely writing on this topic.

David Wiggins said...

1) I am going to write my paper on Auteur Theory.

2) I chose this topic because I wanted to be able to pull examples from a variety of different genres and directorial styles. I don't know a lot about Auteur theory and I'm interested to find out more.

3) This is an article about film critic Andrew Sarris, who is often credited with the invention of Auteur theory. The author of this article claims that his work has been widely misunderstood, and that in fact Sarris believed a director should work within the system to form his creative work. The author also criticizes Sarris' method of analysis, claiming that he relies too heavily on personal enthusiasm and not enough on hard fact.

http://iipa.chadwyck.com.proxy.library.ucsb.edu:2048/quick/displayMultiItem.do?Multi=yes&ResultsID=136906C39A5&&QueryName=articles&ItemNumber=5&ItemID=iipa00105950&FormatType=raw&journalID=JID00374806&logType=fulltext

4) I am still interested, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to write about. From here, I think I need to examine which directors are commonly known as Auteurs and assess there work as such.

Erika Frost said...

1. My paper will be discussing both formalism and realism and how they relate to animated films. Animated films are seemingly always formalist but I'm going to try to prove they also contain realist aspects.

2. I love love love animated films and have always appreciated what I now know as a formalist approach to film. It is a medium that allows the creator to indulge his viewer wholly in the world he has invented. Usually this means formalist film has much to offer int he way of aesthetics, and being a visual person, I'm into that in a big way.
3. Ive found this excerpt from a book discussing animated film theory. Why animated films are useful for story telling in film.
http://www.silvacine.com/classreadings/wells.pdf
4. I'm way into this, so yes.

Erika Frost said...
This comment has been removed by the author.